Tuesday, May 17, 2011

There and back, there and back, there and back again...

I grew up and now, as an adult, am a firmly ensconced, highly adapted resident of the Pacific Northwest. Ever time I travel I always have a little voice that narrates occasionally and says "is this city more perfect for you than Seattle?" And until I spent my 10 days in Amsterdam last September I always said "no." (I'd live in Holland in a heartbeat, Seattle be damned.)

I don't want to live in the mid west; for one thing my wuss of a body would be constantly wilting in the heat or shivering in the cold (and I'd always be complaining, nobody wants that!) But there's something about being in that area that feels good to me. I'm pretty convinced that it's because all of my extended family comes from (and mostly, still lives in) Minnesota and Wisconsin; generations of genetic predisposition to a region has to have some impact. And secondarily I just love experiencing contrast so much. Being somewhere hot and bright and drenched in worn red brink and stone buildings...it's just so different from the northwest's cool, dense layers of green and gray. I very much enjoy it. Which is a good thing considering I'm slated to be in Omaha every month for the foreseeable future!

Here's my visual haul for last week's Nebraska foray...


And the there and back again continues; I'm off to Nashville, Tennessee on Wednesday...

No comments: