Tuesday, April 5, 2011

of a more personal nature

I think for anyone who blogs on a regular basis the question often comes up of "how much of myself do I want to share here in this public space?" It's certainly a question that has come up from me, off and on, since the beginning. In my case, it's kind of funny how guarded I am here. Because if you know me in person then you really know me...I am an open book. If asked I (almost always) tell. Doesn't matter who you are. So to be so (mostly) silent here in terms of using my own voice, well, it's a little strange.

My intent in starting this blog was to have a place to archive beautiful things in a way that would allow me to come back and gloat over them all in one place. I was delighted, as over time, others began to stop by and come back to be a part of it too...
But I never felt right about mixing in to the archival process elements of my life, they didn't seem to fit the pattern.

But I've been thinking a lot lately. (Well, I always do, but you know, more than usual.) This space has always been about sharing beauty. Sharing art in all it's forms. And I've been thinking about how life and the living of it, when it's purposeful, mindful...it can be very much a thing of beauty as well. The act of purposefully composing a life; it garners gorgeous results. I want that to be a part of this place.

On a personal level I am actively engaged in composing my own life more right now than I ever have before in my 33 years on earth. The last year of so of my life has been full, absolutely full to the brim with change. I left an 8 year relationship. I'm questioning in a very serious fashion what I do for a living and how. But mostly it's been a massive sea change on an internal level. Both a softening (in my willingness now to be relied upon and rely on others) and a hardening (to never again let another person persuade me so far off course from my own center.) These internal changes have made some big shifts to my purpose and direction. It makes sense that they would/could/should show up here right along with the other expressions of beauty. After all an authentic, rich, meaningful life is a beautiful expression is it not?

So I would say; expect to see more of this...dispatches from my own attempts to create beauty and purpose in my own life as well as recognizing it in the work and lives of others...

Along these lines, all the images in this post are mine. Something new for me. My eye looking for something and catching it and using it to say (in this case): "spring is almost, almost here in Seattle." This is what that feels like to me on a chilly dusky evening, in my neighborhood, right now. At this very moment in my life.



Happy Tuesday. We'll talk more about this idea of composing a beautiful life...right along with the usual gushing and awestruck mumblings over art, film and music per usual...

3 comments:

June rhymes with moon said...

lovely post, lovely photos, and I for one am very keen to see more of you and your voice here :)

LethaColleen said...

Thank you Janelle...your support and friendship is a lovely thing!

Frankie said...

Your post is great. I love reading these kinds of posts! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. EXACTLY!