Thursday, February 24, 2011

Always be kind...

I am currently reading through Pema Chodron's Start Where You Are; A Guide to Compassionate Living which has me thinking on the concept of compassion quite a bit lately.

I have always prized my own perception that I am an empathetic person; and that perception is a key part of my internal narrative...one of the things I build my sense of self on. But lately I've been thinking a lot about how I practice what I tell myself I do. I am a child of illusion in so many ways...I allow my brain to build roles, parts for myself and others that often don't exist. I realize that I allow these illusions to cloud my interactions with other people quite a bit. And illusion causes a disconnect of true dealings with each other. It can inhibit compassion. And so I am watching myself to see if I can live more closely aligned with practice of clarified kindness. Because we are all fighting a hard battle.

[image by/belongs to liiivii, via flickr here]

1 comment:

gina said...

Lovely and honest post. I think we all build defensive walls that sometimes prevent us from practicing kindness.