Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Saying

In an old book I came
across a saying.
It was like a stranger
punching me in the face.

It won't stop
gnawing at me.
When I walk around at night,
looking for a beautiful girl,

when a lie or a description
of life or someones fake
way of being with people
occurs instead of reality,

when I betray myself with
an easy explanation
as if what's dark is clear,
as if life doesn't have thousands

of locked, burning gates,
when I use words without really
having known their strict openness
and put my hands around things

that don't excite me,
when a dream hides my face with soft hands
and the day avoids me, cut off from the world

cut off from who I am deeply,
I freeze where I am
and see hanging in the air in front of me
STOP BEING A GHOST!

~Ernst Stadler

[image by/belongs to Antonio Romei]

4 comments:

Poetry of the Day said...

i love everything about this post

LethaColleen said...

@ Poetry of the day: you would! :) it's right up your alley... Seriously though, this poem, so good. I can't get it out of my head (which is why I shared it.)

Vatche said...

It's simple and beautiful. Powerful and strong. Up front and personal. Awesome post and write on!

The Queen said...

I love that picture..