Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I was gone and then back! And now I'm gone again!

Last week I was in Washington DC visiting my dear friend Rachel and her family. Unbelievably (and I say this in response to the sheer levels of noise, energy and almost visually palpable firing of developing brain neurons in those little curly heads) dear R is (along with her husband Sean) raising twin two year old boys and a two month old baby. Yowza! Being around the little ones was not so much a re-acknowledgment of my own desire to remain childless as a determination to honor the (frankly) heroic mothers I know in my life. And the random ones too, flying with their child on the plane or earnestly requesting they share their toy with the adjacent child in the park...

I love this picture of the boys because you can't tell where one curly head begins and the other ends...
I fell head long in love with the city it's self. I think I was responding to a heady combination of the energy of a bunch of highly motivated people (political or otherwise) who actually look you in the face and smile (noticing one another not a common practice in Seattle!) matched with the beauty of the historical and monumental architecture of the area...

I walked about the mall with Rachel and we popped into the National Gallery & the Modern museum...
I mostly walked around the DuPont and Georgetown area of DC and can I just say, if there is an unattractive street to be found in those two areas I was not able to find it. And let me tell you I tried! Beautiful old row houses mixed in with grand mansions and embassies...and here and them some whimsical elements that really tickled me and cemented my love affair with the city (how could one not love a city & home owners who poke a bit of fun at their own grandiose history?)At first, encountering the sheer ubiquity of the red brick, I was sure it was too much of a good thing. But now I think that the rising and falling of that continual and orderly red rectangle is part of why the city felt so warm and welcoming to me. I walked endlessly, all day, a full 8 hours, having only one day to wander on my own. I got my feet to take me far and wide. I finally stopped for 20 minutes or so in a park by the Potomac and played with ginkgo leaves and acorns. It was such a perfect little trip filled with love and noticing what's worthy of love...And now I'm off again, actually finishing up this post from a flat in Amsterdam! I'm here for 10 days and will be posting about this dutch adventure too, very soon.

Chow!

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

these photos are gorgeous, letha! thanks for taking us along on your travels. i can't wait to see what you capture in amsterdam!

the look-you-in-the-face thing has been something of a pleasant adjustment for me here in boston, too. people actually talk to strangers--in the grocery store, on the street--and it made me realize just how little this happens in seattle.

still, i do miss seattle, and its lovely inhabitants (like you).

LethaColleen said...

Thanks E! I think at some point in my life I will need to live in a look-you-in-the-face place. It really was a wonderful feeling. I think it actually made me a happier, better person! :) Certainly I came away from DC with a sense of euphoric 'we humans are all connected' that I rarely experience in Seattle and that's a sense that I'd like to see a lot more of in my life!

Haddock said...

Some places just stick on to you and its instant liking.
Like that ground level shot.

postzoom said...

I found your site on BlogCatalog and would love to include it on PostZoom.com

PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps consumers find great blog posts and blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

If you are interested in joining, please visit http://postzoom.com/register.aspx (yes, it’s completely free).

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
PostZoom