Monday, August 2, 2010

Home Again, Home Again

Lovely PDX weekend. Beautiful views from the train, lots of laughs, Anthro, Pearl District and Nob Hill, sunset and then home again, home again.

For me, a trip to any city doesn't really feel complete these days if I don't see and then snap succulents somewhere in the city...

Pearl District Anthropologie store displays.

I always get overwhelmed [and just the slightest bit frightened] by how well Anthro hits the mark with their demographic (me and my nostalgic generation) so consistently with such effective branding!

Got a chance to visit the Portland Saturday Market. I fell into it head first. It was so well attended and some of the artists were quite amazing. One that I was particularly drawn to was Red Shed Pottery/Stephen's Pottery. Stunning scale, texture and craftsmanship in the pieces. And look at the booth, it was the best example I've seen for a while of a market booth totally tailored to the art...

Absolutely stunning sunset as seen from the train on the way back to Seattle.

Both the trip down and up had me a bit teary eyed around the Steilacoom/Tacoma area of the ride --- seeing the islands across the water that I grew up looking at everyday from my yard in Steilacoom and remembering the treks on the beach at low tides with my dad --- the ferry rides across to Anderson Island to bike with my siblings --- it was a emotional experience of both gratefulness and loss.

Happy Monday to all. I hope your weekend was a meaningful one to you in some [small or big] way...

2 comments:

stephanie levy said...

Sounds like a great trip and it really, really makes me want to come over to the Pacific Northwest!!

LethaColleen said...

Stephanie: You absolutely should! You must! I'm biased, of course, but this region is so rich with landscape and nature it just makes your heart hurt...Plus if you come to Seattle we can meet up for a coffee somewhere overlooking the water! How fun would that be?