Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mayme Kratz

Stunningly gorgeous work by Mayme Kratz. Can I just say that I'm so consistently (predictably) drawn to the medium of resin and encaustic --- it's ability to radiate depth and an inner light is uncanny. And having dabbled a bit in using the medium myself and entirely failing to connect to it's potential I have a huge amount of respect for the artists that make resin their catalyst for their artistic voice...

Here are some of Mayme's own words on her art and the why and wherefore of what she does:

"I live in the center of a city, in the middle of a desert surrounded on all sides by the enormity of the horizon. The environment is harsh. Everything is exposed. Nothing is hidden. I walk and forage in the dusty, hot landscape collecting seeds, bones and other odd bits that most might overlook. My walks reveal fragile ecosystems, strange beauty – insights in detritus. What I see in these intimate viewings finds it's way into my dreams. Dreams lead to poems. Poems lead me to what I create. I hope to bring a focus, a new way of seeing, a new life to the objects I find. My collected specimens -- ephemera preserved, protected -- celebrate the endless cycles of change and rebirth in nature." ~Mayme Kratz via Art + Environment

[all work by/belongs to Mayme Kratz, images via her web site]

More to see on via Mayme's web site, take a look at her sculptures too...

3 comments:

Martina Voigt-Schmid said...

Wow these are stunning and fascinating - so magical!

Cait Wade said...

These are very mysterious & strange....but interesting and calming at the same time.

LethaColleen said...

Martina: I totally agree!

Cait: you are right they do radiate a strange distant quality...I hadn't noticed that myself but they really do --- it's wonderful to me that the overall emotional response that I have to them is calm and peace, given that the strange/distant element could just as easily make one fell detached from the pieces!