Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Michelle Maule

While I most definitely love Michelle's typewriters, bikes, striped stocking legs and mid century modern chairs it's this new bird illustration below that caught my eye recently...

When I was growing up my pet was a blue budgie bird named Birdie Burger King (I know, I know, so lame! But I named him when I was 2 and wasn't allowed to eat fast food often and thus it was the coolest most desirable name I could think of at the time). The below totally reminds me of him...

When Birdie died (I was 10-ish) I made him a satin lined shoebox bed with a little doll pillow for his final sleep and cried bitterly while we buried him under one of our apple trees. Funny how those intense moments of childhood sorrows in parting fade to almost nothing over the span of adult life and then surface with such sharpness to the remembering. Just for a moment I feel incongruent, a step out of time as the little guy below brings back memories of my childhood pet often overlooked when I look backward internally but still a integral part of my history...

[image by/belongs to Michelle Maule, via her Flickr photostream]

For much more of Michelle's marvelous work visit her Etsy shop, Flickr photostream and blog!

2 comments:

Dyche Designs said...

What a beautiful post, loved hearing about your beloved pet and his funny name.

LethaColleen said...

thanks Dyche... :)