Monday, January 18, 2010

Simen Johan

This is provocative and amazingly atmospheric work from photographer Simen Johan got my heart beating hard and my mind whirring away when I first saw it. Many of his pieces are exhibited at extreme sizes, 6ft high and whole walls of space referencing dioramas and other traditional constructs used to examine natural history... With Simen's penchant for sculpture as an additional medium mixed with the surreal and sometimes horrific content in both his sculpture and photography I am really, really wishing I could see his work in person (and not through the incredibly limiting format of the 400px wide photo)!


[images by/belong to Simen Johan via his web site]

1 comment:

Patricia Chapman said...

Thanks for sharing this incredibly beautiful and deeply soulful work!