Friday, August 14, 2009

Tadashi Kawamata

I’ve always been, for better or worse, a solitary soul. I have many memories from when I was small of hiding in bathroom stalls for hours just to avoid having to go into a situation with people and be ‘social!’

As a young adult I was diagnosed as having a schizoid personality disorder (which sounds so dramatic!) --- with effort (and that all important key to a progressive life, awareness!) I’ve certainly become more adept, as an adult, at interacting socially, I now have a healthy appreciation of the benefits and joys of seeking out connections to others. But it’s still not my natural inclination --- often I want desperately to indulge the quite ‘I want to be alone’ part of my nature. When I yearn for solitude I will sometimes get a cascade of images like a little movie rolling through my mind’s eye of light houses and waves and deserted beaches. Or tall trees, leaves blowing about in the wind and being up, up, up above everything moving so far below…

To an extrovert, solitude can seem like a little bit of death. And I can understand that, even feel the discomfort in sympathy --- but sometimes, for me, true blue introvert that I am, being a single soul (alone in the world after all, despite our extreme proximity to one another) and revealing in that fact is being truly alive.

The visuals of solitude below are waves of grass and the implication of a watch tower looking out over the lands --- making sure all is well, letting the mind drift… This structure is by Japanese designer Tadashi Kawamata a designer and installation artist whose proclivity for tree houses (both urban and remote) holds a particular fascination for me given my own personal inclinations…

[top image by wilks73, the remainder of images by Corentin-Orka, all via their Flickr photostreams]

2 comments:

MAB Jewelry said...

What a lovely post. Thank you. I am a solitary extrovert, if that makes any sense.

LethaColleen said...

Thank you, and yes, it does... :)