Saturday, January 24, 2009

Collections (8)

I've always had collections. Always. One of my most vivid memories is of being 7 years old and for whatever reason, very unsure of the stability of my world. I had a bag that said "VIP, very important person' on the outside - it was orange and blue and circular - and inside of it in little clear plastic boxes I kept my baby teeth, my favorite metal hot wheels cars and my meager sum of money. This all was done, so that if I had to, I could grab my VIP bag and be assured that I would have my most valued treasures with me in a time of flight...

For whatever reason, many of us are driven to collect and arrange and hold --- and I would be astounded if we as a species, didn't hoard objects, things --- pieces of our world and tangible markers of our memories...

Below are 8 of the most arrestingly lovely photos capturing collections that I've seen. Really fascinating 'things' as well as being beautifully composed photos --- they felt like they had to be shared (and not just left sitting in my flickr 'favorites' no matter how many times I might happen look at them with adoration). Enjoy-

1. BisyBackson, 2. rosa.rot, 3. Gali-Dana, 4. Art*Craft*Thrift, 5. curbsidetreasure, 6. koreana, 7. *caramimi*, 8. the lulu bird

I can't stop looking at all of these, but the third one down, wow, a perfect mix of color, shape and a touch of the macabre with the bits of sculptured anatomy... I'm so taken with it. What a great treasure hunt there is to be had, out there in our world...

No comments: