Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Michelle Moode

Michelle Moode's art work is intricate, complex and densely layered (while retaining subtlety) in a way that really reminds me of my favorite artist Anselm Kiefer... Michelle's work is definitely infused with an effervescent spirit that Kiefer's dark work often lacks --- but I see parallels in the cataloging and recording of memory.

And that's what I am most drawn to in Michelle's work --- the manifestation of thoughts/memory. The way Michelle describes her work & process is that through the repetitive nature of practises like sewing --- her mind wanders while creating the pieces --- thus the art resulting at the end of the process is a memory record. An imprint of a personal timeline.
Michelle uses all manner of objects and elements of process to create her art --- tea & wine stains, the tea bags themselves --- ink, embroidery, typography, colored pencil --- etching, transfers, hand stitching...

Michelle's master thesis is then like a grandly detailed museum of memory --- full of 'historical' objects --- flotsam and jetsam of the wandering mind and personal history... I love it and I wish I could have seen it in person...

Pieces of the Universe


[all work and images belong to Michelle Moode, via her Etsy shop & Flickr photostream]

You should visit Michelle's blog --- and definitely go see the rest of her work available in her Etsy shop...

2 comments:

Michelle C. Moode said...

thank you for the feature!
best, Michelle.

http://www.michellemoode.etsy.com
http://millionsofpeoplehappy.blogspot.com

LethaColleen said...

Your work is amazing Michelle - if you/your work is ever in the Seattle area --- please let me know, I'd love to see it in person!