Friday, November 14, 2008

Trees Talking (Cathy Nichols)

Since I was a kid I've held a belief that trees talk to each other --- through their roots and the earth, but most especially through the wind and air. Although I've always been personally convicted of this I've also been aware that it's a pretty pagan, earth mother-y thing to feel is 'true' and I don't usually espouse it to others...

I have been a fan of Cathy Nichols (found her on Etsy) for a while now... Originally I was pulled into her paintings because of her use of (often) childhood/like symbolism that convey a good deal of emotion and her use of color --- the hits of red are amazing in a lot of the pieces... And then today I saw the below. It really got to me --- because while it's got a quite, solitary feel to it also has an edge of wildness and joy underneath (and the colors are gorgeous). But mostly I love it because it's a reminder that we often (if not always) share similar convictions, suspicions and truths in this life. The shared similarities just look different from person to person... And that is what makes the visual and audio world of artistic expression so wonderful.

[mommy tree talking to baby tree (even though they are separated)]

I recently saw a study in progress (shown on a PBS/NOVA show, 'hunting the hidden dimension') that was documenting the discovery of relatively new findings on fractal patterns found in trees and forests. The strength and repetition of the fractal patterns seems to suggests a certain level of cooperation or communication or at the very least that trees have internal programming that is very complex and hive like in relationship to the others of their species. From their rings, to leaves to actual placement of the tree within the whole --- some how they all follow the same pattern. Pretty interesting stuff... but then I love me the trees and some scientific discovery so it may not come across as 'interesting' (boring?) to anyone else!

Here are several other paintings from Cathy that I've also fallen in love with...

[spun]

[aloft]

Cathy was featured over at Poppytalk this past summer in a post in which she talks about her process of encaustic painting --- it's a great read, go here. She keeps a blog and has an Etsy shop where she sells a few original paintings and lots of prints of her work.

2 comments:

Cathy Nichols said...

This is one of the most interesting and lovely posts I've read about my artwork. Thank you so much not just for posting it, but for the wonderful scientific research about trees and their capacity for communication. Amazing!

LethaColleen said...

Thank you Cathy...