Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Discovery

Oh gosh... Everyday, because I can't help looking, I find new and wonderful things... Today I discovered Flickr's 'The Commons' which as you can probably guess is a collection of public use/non-copyrighted photos. The Commons was started by Flickr in partnership with The Library of Congress and now has many more partners (of a like kind).

As you'd expect, many of the sets are historical collections, not many modern shots --- but, wow there are some gems among the lot! I am now going to be wasting a fair amount of time trolling through the categories/'tags'/sets... Did I have work to do? It seems like maybe I did --- oh well --- work be damned! There are hand tinted photos to be perused!

Here are the two photos that initially caught my eye --- both are from the Brooklyn Museum, both from the Paris Exposition Universelle of 1900. (Eiffel tower ring a bell)?
There are several pages of just this one set, if you are like me and want to see more after seeing the two hand tinted shots below go here.

This last one, time lapse photography in the 1900's --- wow! Notes on this photo indicate that the trailing lights are lantrens hung on the bows of the boats in the river... My imagination is now transporting me away. Good night.

No comments: