Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Christin Ciaccio Briggs

There is so much going on in Christin's paintings --- for me the thing that I pick up on and love the most --- breaking down natural forms into geometry and then overlaying that simple geometry with an exuberant wave of undulating (almost doodle like) flowers.

And I really appreciate that its all rendered in watercolor, the delicateness of the medium is a nice contrast to the geometry and repetitive lines used in the representation of nature. It gives it all a desperately dreamy and psychedelic lens through which to view the landscapes...

This informal pin-up of pieces along with some handmade dimensional symbols is accessible and effective... looking at the shapes and line work in the art work It's not surprising to find out that Christin also designs textiles.

Christin has a couple of Flickr sets that catalog some of the inspiration behind her work; here & here. When I saw these sets I got really excited because I felt like it let me in on a secret, a little bit of the way Christin thinks (in relationship to her creativity and art), even though I've never met her --- and that's a gift!


I wish with each post on an artist that I also had access to photos of their work space as well as their finished pieces, no matter if it's inspiring or not... the physical space of creation is a fascination for me and (I think) it's a presence in the art it's self...

Christin keeps a blog and has an Etsy shop to follow and peek at...

1 comment:

pbcb la said...

Thanks so much for this elaborate post! It is really very flattering! I'm about to take an extended vacation from my day-job to spend some uninterrupted time in my studio so stay tuned for some new paintings!
Cheers- Christin