Saturday, October 11, 2008

Little, Big, John Crowley & Peter Milton

My favorite book is Little, Big by John Crowley. When I read this book I feel as if I am standing, one foot in my world and the other in Edgewood inside of 'the tale' with the characters. Each time I read Little, Big I do it as slowly as I can --- I want to delay the reality of finding both feet back firmly in only my own world .


I likely would never have read Little, Big were it not for Elliot Bay Books & the cover illustration by Peter Milton. An Elliot Bay employee did me the huge favor of putting the book on the shelf with the cover facing out, I was totally enamored by the illustration and picked it up. I investigated Peter Milton almost immediately and discovered an amazingly intricate and bittersweet expression of the other worldliness of dreams and memory.

Hidden Cities II: Embarkation for Cythera

Hidden Cities III: Continuum

"Medium : First, a collage from photocopies of two centuries of the Galleria. Second, a full size transparency of the collage combined with a second Mylar sheet with my usual sugar/ink texture. Both sheets drawn on and scraped. Third, an etching on copper, capturing drawing with a gelatin resist gravure etching process. Fourth, engraving into the etched plate. Extensive, and my favorite part. Finally, a print on paper, with drawing and erasing touches on each impression. Time: surreal, alarmingly close to two years. Content: discoveries, stumbles, revision and elation. My continuum." Peter Milton

Points of Departure III Twentieth Century Limited

Points of Departure II Nijinsky Variations

Really spectacular, haunting work. Please visit Peter Milton for more.

No comments: