Monday, December 1, 2008

David Mack

David Mack is known for writing Daredevil for Marvel Comics, but I am a fan because of his gorgeous illustration style and his comic KABUKI. One of the things that frustrates me to no end about the comic industry is that many comic books will have a beautiful illustration on it's cover --- usually a distinctive style, maybe reminiscent of watercolor painting or of art deco posters and I will get very excited --- then I open the pages and the interior is the same old 'cartoon' style of comics... Well and good, fine... But I really think that comic books are and can be high art. So few of them actually are when you open them up. But KABUKI is and David Mack is responsible for that.

Covers and full page illustrations:



Examples of what the series looks like on the inside :

I love that the treatment and style change from page to page while still being cohesive all within one book...

There is a movie based on KABUKI currently in production (Mack is very involved), I'll be curious to see how they handle transferring such a range of style and it's unique look to the screen...

So, next time you're near a comic store, stop in and take a look at KABUKI. The art work and comics style are really the best when flipping through one of the books --- (it'll be worth it despite the musty smell of the store!)

No comments: